Star Trek: The Video Game releases on April 23, 2013Posted 9:44 am on Thursday, December 20th, 2012 by John 'Spartan' Nguyen
Star Trek: The Video Game has been in development for some time now, and I seriously thought it was going to come out sooner, rather than later. Since the upcoming Star Trek Into Darkness movie is going to be released on May 17, 2013, it makes sense for the game to be released near that date. Paramount Pictures and NAMCO Bandai Games have announced that the Star Trek: The Video Game will be released on April 23, 2013. With that announcement, they have released the package covers for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
If you pre-order the game, you’ll receive the “Elite Officer Pack”. It includes the following:
- Stealth Pack – Kirk and Spock stealth uniforms, plus Starfleet Type IV Stealth Sniper Rifle and extra ammo
- Brawler Pack – Kirk leather jacket costume and Spock Vulcan Science Academy costume
- elvin Pack – Kirk and Spock U.S.S. Kelvin uniforms, plus U.S.S. Kelvin Hand Phaser
- Academy Pack – Kirk Academy Uniform, Spock Officer Dress Uniform, plus Academy Phaser
- Kobayashi Maru Pack – Kirk and Spock Kobayashi Maru uniforms
The game takes place between the events of the first J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek reboot and Into Darkness. You can play as either Captain Kirk or Spock in the 3rd-person shooter that focuses on co-op gameplay.
I was able to preview the game during E3. It definitely does remind me of Mass Effect, but that’s not a bad thing, since I’m okay with Mass Effect’s controls. And isn’t it about time Trekkies deserve a big video game? Star Wars fans already have it made with the Knights of the Old Republic, and to some extent, the Star Wars: Force Unleashed series.
John “Spartan” Nguyen is the editor-in-chief at Nerd Reactor and is based in Orange County, CA. He is a graphic designer and illustrator.