Guardian of the Galaxy director, James Gunn, apologizes for sexy superhero pollPosted 11:58 am on Friday, November 30th, 2012 by John 'Spartan' Nguyen
Art by Artgerm
So James Gunn posted a sexy superhero poll in early 2011 that had many people calling foul because they think his comments are homophobic and sexist. Well, what can one expect from a poll that’s titled “The 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With.” It didn’t become widespread until a Tumblr page revealed some of his lewd and explicit comments, and it quickly spread through other sites afterwards. For each superheroine and hero, he had a caption for each. Below are some examples:
- On Wonder Woman – “It seems like many guys out there are hoping she’ll lasso their penises and make them tell the truth.”
- On Catwoman – “This supervillain turned anti-hero has been making my penis feel funny since I was four years old and saw Julie Newmar playing her on TV.”
- On Gambit – “My girlfriend voted for this Cajun fruit.”
- On White Queen – “For those men who love rude bitches, the White Queen is number one.”
- On Black Widow – “Natasha Romanova is the highest debut on the list, and, considering she’s f****** half the men in the Marvel Universe, it’s much deserved.”
- On Elektra – “Maybe she’s like carrying one of those little mini-fans, only a mini-fan who will give you a really terrific, Ninja-trained blow job.”
Because of these comments, you can bet that there would be offended people. Even though his post is now taken down, thanks to the power of Google cached, you can read the recent comments of people trashing him. Now James Gunn had two options, let it be or apologize for his actions. He chose the latter.
A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny. In rereading it over the past day I don’t think it’s funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I’m sorry and regret making them at all. People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I’m an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said. We’re all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I’m learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all.
The apology looks sincere enough. Do you think he went out of hand with his attempt at a funny post?
John “Spartan” Nguyen is the editor-in-chief at Nerd Reactor and is based in Orange County, CA. He is a graphic designer and illustrator.