Blizzard Entertainment has announced that StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will be getting its first expansion pack, “Heart of the Swarm”. It’ll be available on March 12, 2013, in stores and online for $39.99.
That’s not the only thing. Blizzard also plans on having a Collector’s Edition for the expansion. An expansion pack getting a collector’s edition? That’s new to me. It’ll include digital and physical bonuses and will retail for $79.99. If you don’t want the physical bonus items, you can go for the Digital Deluxe version for $59.99. You can pre-order now at Blizzard’s store.
Bonus items for the Digital Deluxe:
- StarCraft II Torrasque: Crush the enemies of the Swarm with the indomitable Torrasque, a fearsome new look for your zerg Ultralisks.
- StarCraft II Battle.net® Portraits and Decals: New Swarm-infested Battle.net portraits and decals help you customize the look of your online profile and in-game army.
- World of Warcraft® In-Game Pet: The Baneling companion pet is bursting with enthusiasm and ready to explode onto the Pet Battles scene.
- Diablo® III Blade Wings and Banner Sigil: Grow zerg-like wings in honor of the Queen of Blades, and unfurl an exclusive banner sigil to mark your allegiance to the Swarm in Sanctuary.
Bonus items for the Collector’s Edition includes all of the above and the following:
- Behind-the-Scenes DVD and Blu-ray: Immerse yourself in the StarCraft universe with developer commentary, interviews with voice actors, and an in-depth historical retrospective on StarCraft‘s eSports legacy narrated by key members of the community.
- Collector’s Edition Soundtrack CD: Enhance your Heart of the Swarm musical experience with this collection of more than a dozen tracks from the game.
- Heart of the Swarm Hardcover Art Book: This 144-page tome features never-before-seen art from the expansion, including early concept sketches and meticulous 3D renderings.
- Zerg Rush Mousepad: This Collector’s Edition mousepad depicts the Terran Dominion holding out desperately under the onslaught of the Swarm.
So what can we expect from the expansion pack? Players will follow Kerrigan in 20 campaign missions as she unites the Swarm and seeks revenge against Arcturus Mengsk. It will also include new powerful abilities for Kerrigan, new multiplayer weapons, units and features. The units include the Terran Hellbats, Zerg Swarm Hosts, and Protoss Tempests.
Features will include the following:
- Group and clan systems
- Unranked matchmaking
- Global Play – players will be able to play worldwide
- Additional stat tracking
- User interface improvements
- An enhanced physics system
- Multiplayer replays
- and more
Source: Blizzard Entertainment