Learn Japanese while playing with adorable creatures from Disgaea in Character ChowdownPosted 7:01 pm on Friday, July 27th, 2012 by Chris Del Castillo
Chances are that if you’re writing for a gaming site, you’ve probably imagined yourself working at a video game company. Well, that’s what Spencer Yip, an editor at Siliconera, did when he found Yummy Yummy Tummy studios in 2011. At Anime Expo 2012, NIS America announced they had teamed up with Yummy Yummy Tummy to create Character Chowdown, a game that would help people learn Japanese as they played a game.
Working together with NIS America, the two companies created a game that would teach Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji via mini games, and best of all, the characters from NIS America’s RPG series, Disgaea, will appear in the game. And there are more to come in future expansions.
Would you like to learn Japanese with the help of cute characters, prinnies, heroes and villains from Disgaea? Then Character Chowdown is a game you may want to download and check out. The game is free to download and play on all iOS devices. It currently gives you the ability to learn Katakana for free. The Hiragana and 4 Kanji packs are available for purchase for .99 cents each.
NIS America is happy to announce that Character Chowdown is now available on iTunes®! Character Chowdown is a brand-new game that will aid students in learning new languages. Developed in cooperation with Yummy Yummy Tummy, Character Chowdown will feature cuddly characters and cameos from Nippon Ichi Software Inc.’s popular Disgaea series. Players can start learning Japanese with the free katakana pack. More language packs for hiragana and hundreds of kanji will also be available in the coming months.
- Deliciously easy:Players can learn hiragana, katakana, and hundreds of kanji characters in a fun, quick, casual way.
- Progressive performance: A sophisticated system recognizes which characters players have mastered and which ones they need to work on.
- Additional heroes: Heroes and villains from the Disgaea series will make guest appearances in future downloadable content.
- Fill up on achievements: Game Center achievements will be awarded for events, such as learning all of the characters in a language pack and flicking monsters off the screen.
- Say “Hi!” with postcards: Players can create and send digital postcards by decorating Nommons with accessories unlocked by completing language packs. Custom postcards can be shared through a user’s Facebook profile.
- Start learning for free: Katakana, a Japanese language set commonly used for foreign words, will be released for free.
Growing up Chris watched a lot of the original Saturday morning cartoons and developed a love for arts and animation. Growing up he tried his hand at animation and eventually script writing, but even more his love of video games, anime and technology grew.